Saturday, January 15, 2011

life is a cabaret, old chum

For years, I thought Liza Minnelli was just a joke. Not a good joke. She was clearly a pill addict. her love life was strange, to say the least. She did bad reality TV about said love life. I thought she was really only famous because she was Judy Garland's daughter. Then came "Arrested Development," where I really came to respect her. She wasn't afriad to make fun of herself, and showed an outstanding comic talent. And after all, being the child of a celebrity doesn't really mean you can have a long successful career. I had been too hard on her. Plus, my beloved Courtney Love is the addict of all addicts, so who am I to judge?

So I saw that she was coming to my fair city to perform alongside the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, and I thought, "What a novel idea. I should go." So I did. I really didn't know that much about her early career. yes, I saw Cabaret, but that was about it. I didn't get the best seats in the house, and I was fine with that. I was only going as a casual fan.

She was outstanding. Singing, dancing, joking around, oozing love for her fans. I could see the twinkle in her eye from row KK in the balcony. I haven't smiled so big for so long perhaps ever.

People don't become legends by accident. We should go see them in person every chance we get. It makes us all better.

1 comment:

Ginger Ammon said...

Her performance of "Single Ladies (Put a ring on it)" on the second SATC movie scarred me for life. I know that's mean to say, but she creeped me out to the max. But I still bet it would be fun to see her live, just for the spectacle.

How do you do?

How do you do?