Sunday, January 15, 2012

as the protein transmutates, i knock on your skin and i am in

People keep asking me a lot lately if I ever cheat on my veganism. It's an impossible question to answer, though I like to think I do not. I eat honey, and occasionally wear wool that I purchased before I became a vegan, and wear leather sneakers to the gym that I bought before I became vegan, and I use tons of chapstick made with beeswax. I buy razors that were tested on animals because vegan razors cut the hell out of my face while at the same time not actually shaving me. I'm mostly comfortable with those things though. Sometimes I think I should give up foods with honey, and it's really quite seldom that I have it, but I think I only consider giving it up because of some outside pressure that the "vegans don't eat honey" crowd thinks, not because I actually think it is wrong. Every time I drive, I kill bugs; I kill ants that try to get in my windows during the summer, so why would bees be special? I can keep making excuses for why I'm ok with it, but if I have to keep making excuses to myself for it, maybe it would be easier to just stop. Who knows. anyway, no, I do not think I cheat. But there's no black and white answer, really. Blueberries aren't vegan, really, because bees are used in the fields. Same for flowers from the florist. Manure is used to grow my veggies. It's a non-vegan world. you can only do so much.

Also, I saw Lars von Trier's "Melancholia" recently. I have an amazing admiration for his work, and if I wrote out my top 20 favorite films or so, at least 4 of his would be in it, so obviously I get pretty excited when he has a new film. Plus, it had Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Alexander Skarsgard. In a movie about depression and the end of the world. So maybe I was just expecting too much and went in with hopes too high, but I was disappointed. I didn't dislike it. I just didn't really care about it. It was just ok. The poster for the film is beautiful, and some of the scenes are gorgeous to watch, but that was about it.

3 comments:

Ginger Ammon said...

Joey, do you eat ground flaxseeds for your omegas?

For the record, I went to a bee farm with Christina and those bees are doing what they'd already be doing, in a place they'd already be doing it. They don't put them in cruel, exploitative environments like they do larger farm animals. No guilt. :)

Which of Lars' movies were your favorites? I have a netflix account I use like 4 times a year, so I'm trying to find new things to watch.

Joey said...

I usually get bread with flax seed and have hemp milk occasionally. I should probably have more. It's something I haven't done well with.

I love so many of Lars' movies, but "Dancer in the Dark" is my favorite. the other must-sees are Dogville, Europa, and Breaking the Waves. Antichrist is definintely worth a watch as well.

I've been trying to comment on your blog, but I always get an error message. I must be doing something wrong.

Joey said...

I usually get bread with flax seed and have hemp milk occasionally. I should probably have more. It's something I haven't done well with.

I love so many of Lars' movies, but "Dancer in the Dark" is my favorite. the other must-sees are Dogville, Europa, and Breaking the Waves. Antichrist is definintely worth a watch as well.

I've been trying to comment on your blog, but I always get an error message. I must be doing something wrong.

How do you do?

How do you do?